Sunday, February 12, 2012

Christchurch

Tonight im sleeping in Christchurch.  It's been a long day of travel: I woke at 510 get to the hotel where I met up with the tour, we then headed across the Cook straight on the Interislander Ferry, followed by 5 hours of long windy roads. (we stopped to see the seals, and passed an Antilo bus or 2-aka, Contiki's name for old people buses - sorry mom...)

Christchurch is both erie and sad.  There are abandoned homes and buildings along the streets closest to the epicentre while the latter is closed off. Three of my tour companions and I walked down to the  site of the old cathedral, and past the Knox Church, both of such are now condemned.  I've always been fascinated with old and derelict buildings, and the ones here are ever so tempting to enter, but I don't dare. As much for fear of getting caught and deported as for the thought buildings collapsing in around me. We felt a tremor while getting ready for bed, and my heart is a bit overworked still; I'll feel better in the bus out of town tomorrow I think.

We made it out of Christchurch safe and sound, and we're en route to fox glacier where we'll stay at a backpackers.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are safe and sound. Did your experience encourage or discourage thoughts of the earthquake course? Looking forward to hearing about the glacier - we old folks stop there too. Love Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete