Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Red Lobster

When I was in Barcelona 3 years ago,  I missed my train and spend the day on the beach; by the time I got to the train I was burnt and crispy and I vowed never to do it again.  On Monday, I forgot to remind myself to put on sunscreen, and despite the fact that I never saw the sun that day, I wound up burnt and crispy all over again.  I am not a happy camper.


Monday was a national holiday, so I couldn't do what I'd planned (set up my banking/school stuff).  Instead, I went out to take a look at an apartment, and it was nice enough, but too far from the university.  I spend the rest of the day wandering from Freemans Bay (the neighbourhood where the apt. was) to Parnell, past the Sky Tower (where I watched someone jump off) and the waterfront. There are "baths" (swimming pool) out in Judges bay near Parnell, and Reserves
seem to be dotted everywhere. The Reserves are my favorite. They're little oasises in the middle of neighbourhoods,  like miniature jungles or fields. I descended into one from a random street and was slightly concerned at one point that there might be something in there that wanted to eat me, but I came out unscathed!
























 I also happened upon the sign to the left, the picture on the right shows exactly how they will inflict tire damage!  Eek!














Yesterday was mostly spent reeling from my burns, but I did get out to the university for my ID, set up my banking and talked to the engineering department to try to sort my courses out. The latter still hasn't been solved, and it's really frustrating... Probably the best part though is the bank draft I brought over so I could have instant access to NZ funds won't clear the bank for 21 BUSINESS DAYS! Which is a royal pain in the ass as it means I am currently living off 70$ NZ.  I'm trying to figure out another way to get funds, but I have a feeling its gonna cost me mucho $$$.


I haven't yet found a place to live, but I have 2 more viewings today, and I found out that I can store my stuff at the other YHA hostel just down the street for 10$/week, so I'm not under as much pressure as I felt when I first landed. I leave for Wellington and my Contiki tour tomorrow morning, so I likely won't check in for awhile, but we'll see how it goes.

 ---I ended up seeing 5 places today. Two this evening that I planned and 3 more this afternoon that were haphazard. I really liked the last two, one was in a university dorm style apartment but it cost 300+$/week!  The last one is a room in a flat with 2 guys working in website/graphic design. They were really friendly, and the room is great, but I won't know until Saturday if I get it... 


~Laura

1 comment:

  1. We hope your skin is feeling better and you aren't shedding too much. Glad you found a place for your stuff before going to Wellington and hope you have a good trip. Good luck with the "house" hunting. Love Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete